Our History


In the Spring of 1950 in Lower Makefield Township, three young women were chatting in their back yards as they admired their new offspring. Everything seemed to be new at the time. Construction was everywhere; industry was exploding, and education and new vocations were being vigorously pursued. There was a new understanding of our neighbors, a new brotherhood of man, a willingness to aid others and, above all, blessed peace.

The conversation drifted and eventually they found themselves discussing how they might, individually or collectively, become involved in the changes that would impact all of them. They were young, talented, eager and willing. How to channel all of this energy left them stumped until one of them had a wonderful idea and suggested organizing a woman’s club. Eureka! All of them agreed this was a capital idea and thus was born the Lower Makefield Woman’s Club. Little did these ladies know what was to come. Under the originator's leadership, as she was the first president, the seeds were sown for an organization that reached its zenith in membership of two hundred and fifty within a very few years. Our first president served with distinction.

A flurry of activity to attract interested people followed. Flyers were distributed house-to-house by a brigade of young mothers using baby carriages as delivery carts. (No mixups were reported and all of the babies were safely delivered back to their own homes). The original meetings were held in the homes of the potential members. From this nucleus, committees were formed, by-laws written, departments organized and finally, plans made for the first formal meeting held on September 26, 1950. The first guest speaker was the president of the Bucks County Federation of Women’s Clubs and we were off on an adventure that has been wonderful in the extreme and continues to this day.